The Association was formed in 1940 to contribute towards the general progress of family case work, to raise and maintain professional standards of work and training in consultation and co-operation with the National Council of Family Welfare Associations, and to encourage the employment of fully trained case workers on adequate salaries. In 1954 it adopted a new constitution and changed its name to the Association of General and Family Case Workers to reflect the fact that it was now seeking to cater for all case workers, not just those working specifically with families. It reverted to its original name in 1963. In 1970 the Association joined with 6 of the other professional organisations to form the British Association of Social Workers (BASW).
Source: Modern Records Centre at University of Warwick.