The British Federation of Social Workers began in 1935, primarily a federation of social workers’ organisations, although associate status was available to individuals working in a field of social work in which there was no existing organisation. In 1951 the organisation changed its name to the Association of Social Workers and in 1963 it took the initiative in setting up the Standing Conference of Organisations of Social Workers, which entailed the disaffiliation of its member organisations. It therefore became an organisation of individual members only. In 1970 it merged with six other organisations to form the British Association of Social Workers (BASW). Its archive reflects its efforts to promote co-ordination of effort among social workers’ organisations and is therefore a good source for the study of a range of disciplines within the field. Its archives (1936-1970) are held at the Modern Records Centre at University of Warwick.