Following a recommendation of the Curtis Committee, the Central Training Council in Child Care was formed. It provided training for child care officers who were appointed when Children's Departments were established in 1948. A total of 211 women and 5 men had qualified by 1951. However Local Authorities were, at first, reluctant to employ them alongside more established staff.
Source: University of Chester, Riverside Museum.