The School of Social Work at Dalhousie University was founded in 1941 as an independent school serving the needs of the Maritime region for professionally educated social workers. The political, social, cultural and economic conditions of the region have continued to give direction to the school's teaching programs since its amalgamation with Dalhousie University in 1969. The school is now one of eight schools and a college grouped within the university's Faculty of Health Professions.
A Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree program was added in the early 1980s and the MSW program was reorganized into a one-year program for BSW graduates. With the advent of the BSW program, special efforts were made to have the program available not only in Halifax but also in sites such as Sydney, Saint John, and Charlottetown.
Degree and certificate programs were also designed to meet the needs of the region's Mi'kmaq population, especially those human service staff working on reserves.
Source: univeristy website.