The Edinburgh School of Cookery and Domestic Economy inaugurated a social training course for women in 1911; this ‘prepared the way for later developments’, writes Macadam in 1925: 34.
The Edinburgh School of Cookery and Domestic Economy had been founded in 1875 by Christian Guthrie Wright and Louisa Stevenson, both members of the Edinburgh Ladies' Educational Association. (Louisa was sister of educational reformer Flora Stevenson.) The school was founded as a women-only institution, paid for by public subscription, with twin aims of improving women's access to higher education (women were excluded from HE at this time) and improving the diets of working-class families. Teaching was initially delivered via lectures at the Royal Museum in Chambers Street, supplemented by a programme of public lectures – the all-female staff travelled across Britain (from Shetland to the Channel Islands) giving demonstrations. The school established a base at Shandwick Place in 1877, then moved to Atholl Crescent in 1891, expanding its courses and offering residential places to students. At this time the Edinburgh School also operated a branch in Manchester to provide lectures to industrial communities throughout the north of England. This branch eventually became independent and it is now a constituent part of Manchester Metropolitan University (see http://www.qmu.ac.uk/the_university/history.htm).
(also see Macadam 1945, p.23).