In 1903, the Hospital Almoners Committee was formed by 7 almoners; by 1922, it had 51 members, and was renamed the Hospital Almoners Association (HAA).
In 1907, the Hospital Almoners Council was formed, later renamed the Institute of Hospital Almoners (IHA).
The two organisations each held registers of trained almoners. They merged in 1945 to form the Institute of Medical Social Workers, and remained this until another name-change in 1964, when it became the Institute of Medical Social Workers. The IMSW later became a founding member of the British Association of Social Workers (BASW) in 1970.
Source: Joan Baraclough