The council was first created by Charles Loch of the Charity Organisation Society to draw up a scheme of training for hospital almoners, to select candidates, to recommend trained almoners to hospital authorities and to keep a register of trained almoners. A one-year series of lectures and practical training began, based in the district offices of the Charity Organisation Society and out-patient departments in London. By 1918, the training was extended to two years, including teaching at the LSE.
The council later changed its name to the Institute of Hospital Almoners (IHA). It amalgamated with the Hospital Almoners' Association (HAA) (first established in 1903 as the Hospital Almoners' Committee) to become the Institute of Almoners in 1945, and this changed its name to the Institute of Medical Social Workers in 1964.
In 1970, the association merged with six other social workers' organisations to form the British Association of Social Workers (BASW); it had been a member of the Standing Conference of Organisations of Social Workers since 1962.
Records of correspondence are held at Warwick University: Modern Records Centre.
Also Joan Baraclough