In 1947, a moral welfare course began, following pressure from Miss Kay Stewart, Organising Secretary of the Guild of Service for Women (formerly the National Vigilance Association, Easter Division), based in Castle Street, Edinburgh. Miss Stewart led the agency from 1929 to 1954, and was prominent in moral welfare work, which at the time included individual and group work with young women and girls, marital counselling and support for pregnant women and unmarried mothers - then called 'mother and baby cases'. The moral welfare course collapsed after one year because of lack of numbers of students enrolling.
More information from Cree, V.E. (1995) From Public Streets to Private Lives, the Changing Task of Social Work, Avebury, Aldershot, especially Chapter 4.