The Review of Social Work Education (RSWE) in Scotland began in 2015/6, initiated by Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). In 2017/18, SSSC led on a number of the recommendations from the review:
- revising, publishing and implementing an updated Framework and Standards in Social Work Education
- exploring graduate-level apprenticeships and other work-based routes into social work with the sector
- developing a new Standard for Continuous Professional Learning for social service workers.
It also stated that further work was needed on implementation and funding implications of the following:
- Development of a shared approach to social work professional learning.
- Introduction of a mandatory, supported year for newly qualified social workers (NQSW).
- Widening access to social work education.
A broad stakeholder group and partnership approach worked on the RSWE :
- Social Work Scotland
- Scottish Association of Social Workers.