Smith College created the School for Social Work in 1918 under the name Smith Psychiatric Training School. The school grew out of a summer programme that was established in order to prepare clinical social workers to address the growing needs of soldiers returning from the First World War who were suffering from what was then called 'shell shock'. From a first class of 60 students, the School grew to become recognised as a leader in clinical social work. By the 1950s, it had expanded to include social work research, social welfare, interdisciplinary collaboration and international social work. The Smith College School for Social Work today describes itself as 'the premier clinical social work graduate school, with a strong commitment to anti-racism'.
Source: find out more from SSW website, which tells the story of SSW up to the present day.