Skip to main content

Timeline :: University Settlement managed by School of Social Study

Silhouette for no photo

November 1919: A decision was taken to transfer the University Settlement Association property and other assets to the School of Social Studies and Training, to be called the Edinburgh University Settlement. The settlement had been founded in 1905 by members of the University of Edinburgh and representatives of the city of Edinburgh, 'linking town and gown' as a charitable organisation to promote community development and the alleviation of poverty. This new arrangement was taken to consolidate the settlement’s continuity and at the same time provide practice placements for social work students. In 1925, the settlement returned to independent status.